Saturday, September 8, 2012

English as a Queer Language



We'll begin with box, and the plural is boxes,
But the plural of ox is oxen, not "oxes"
Then one fowl is a goose and two are geese,
Yet the plural of moose would never be "meese,"

You may find a lone mouse or a whole lot of mice,
But the plural of house is houses, not "hice."
If the plural of man is always men,
Why shouldn‘t the plural of pan be "pen"?

-English is a Queer Language, Unknown Author


For those who are not familiar with the word queer, these are the answers of Mr. Webster and the Google: It means strange, unusual, odd, or unique. From the meaning of queer, is there somebody who would agree with the title of the poem written above?


In my perception, English is a queer language because of its unique and unusual characteristics. Some of us may wonder why English is confusing, considering that it is practically the world's most common language. For instance, one cannot simply go on a business or talk to corporate people if he or she could not speak fluently in English. The same goes with travelers who go to different countries that they must speak in English to be able to communicate with various nationalities. 





We Filipinos are very fond of English and it somehow becomes our secondary language. Everybody knows a little English regardless of the age, gender, and educational attainment. However, does everyone realizes how strange English is? For example, we have he, his, and him for the masculine, so why not she, shis, and shim for the feminine?


Take a look at these pictures: 


        
                                  

See? That’s how odd English is.


Indeed, English is far from plain and ordinary. It is a complex language when it comes to pronunciation, intonation, word formation, figures of speech, and functions. In order to speak and write in English effectively, one must know the rules. However, more often than not, we get confused because most of us have different approaches to this particular language. We tend to do things that for us are right, but truly are wrong. One more other reason of our confusion is because of its broadness; unlike in Arithmetic that when you understand a certain formula, you can always get the correct answer from there. It differs from English language wherein you put your thoughts into words, thus must be in proper English form.  




We must conform with the rules for us to achieve accepted English writing. Moreover, one should use this language outside of a formal classroom setting to develop one’s proficiency in English. 









References:




Note:

The sizes of some photos that I have taken from the Internet are too large, for you readers to see them clearly. :) 










28 comments:

  1. Hello, Andi. I like the way you presented your ideas. It was simple, yet systematic. The images you used also helped to keep my interest in reading your post. Lastly, I commed you for choosing a wonderful topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, Andi. I like how you relate the English language to Arithmetic. Congratulations and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "One more other reason of our confusion.."
    I think you should omit the word "other" here.

    Hi Andi! Those pictures are really good examples in relation to your interesting topic. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "One more other reason of our confusion is because of its broadness; unlike in Arithmetic that when you understand a certain formula, you can always get the correct answer from there."

    This sentence seems to be wordy. I think it's better to replace "One more other reason of " with "Another reason for."


    "It differs from English language wherein you put your thoughts into words, thus must be in proper English form."

    You forgot to put the article "the" before the word "English."

    I agree with you. English is a very tricky and confusing language. Good job with this post, Andie. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Andi. I agree with you. English is a complicated language. No wonder other people is having a hard time using it. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Andi! :)
    "...one cannot simply go on a business or talk to corporate…" You forgot to put in "trip" after "business".

    The visuals you put in gave me an even clearer view on what you were trying to say. I liked your straightforward introduction as well. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "....,is there somebody who would agree with the title of the poem written above?" "agree with" is only used when your are talking about people, so i think it should be "agree to". I'm not quite sure though.

    "We Filipinos are very fond of English and it somehow becomes our secondary language." I think there should be a comma before "and" :)

    "It differs from English language wherein you put your thoughts into words, thus must be in proper English form." I think it is more appropriate to use "differ with" instead of "differ from" since you are referring to an idea not to an object :)


    I totally agree with you. I also find the English language confusing and strange. Good job Andi! I enjoyed reading your post :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I commend you for writing about the craziness/queerness of the English language. I liked the way you used pictures to clearly convey your thoughts and also to support your argument.

    Although I was confused with some of your statements and spotted errors mentioned above I think you still made a great job in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate the way you utilized the use of images to convey your thoughts vividly. Your post reminds me of my childhood days wherein I find the rules and restrictions of the English language confusing.

    Aside from the mistakes mentioned above I commend you for coming up with this interesting and controversial topic. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Everybody knows a little English regardless of the age, gender, and educational attainment."
    I am aware that "little English" is accepted, but this phrase honestly annoys me. It is as if English is vertically challenged. If you have rearranged the words and used "limited English" instead of "little English", I think it will sound better.

    "The sizes of some photos that I have taken from the Internet are too large, for you readers to see them clearly. :)"
    You should omit the comma.

    This is a very interesting topic. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the images, and this is an interesting topic, too. :-) Nice one, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Andi! That is an entertaining post!
    Aside from the errors mentioned above, these are the ones I spotted:
    "...one cannot simply go on a business..."
    I am a bit confused with this sentence. I think it's better this way, "...one cannot simply start a business..."

    "...unlike in Arithmetic that when you understand a certain formula..."
    You should have omitted that.

    "It differs from English language wherein you put your thoughts into words, thus must be in proper English form."
    I am confused with this sentence. I don't think thus is an appropriate word to use.

    Anyway, that was a great post! Good job, Andi!


    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job, my friend! Now I know what you were saying to me couple of days ago. I like your pictures. They help me a lot to understand what you're trying to convey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some of your sentences are a little bit wordy. But, anyway, nice choice of topic. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The image that says "Ghoti" means "Fish" cracked me up. HAHAHA Great job ate Andi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Andi! I love the images that you used. You did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had fun reading your blog post. The images helped me a lot to easily understand what you're trying to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Andi! I think all the languages in the world are queer. (Just my opinion.) By the way, your chosen topic is great. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. "See? That’s how odd English is."
    I find this informal. Consider rewording the question. In addition to that, avoid using contractions.

    "We must conform with the rules for us to achieve accepted English writing."
    It would be better if you used the preposition "to" instead of "with". (conform TO)


    I agree with you, Andy. English words cause no end of confusion. Kudos to this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. "The same goes with travelers who go to different countries that they must speak in English to be able to communicate with various nationalities." The sentence above is a bit confusing. I suggest that you change the word "that" to "wherein". Well anyway, your entry is entertaining and the pictures add to the appeal of your entry. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed reading you entry, it's really entertaining. Good Job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a very entertaining post. You made it even better with the pictures you got there. Very light and fun. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice introduction and pictures, Andie. Your post is interesting. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly that love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me. mecidiyeköy ingilizce kursu

    ReplyDelete
  26. What is correct diction about english as a queer language

    ReplyDelete