Friday, September 14, 2012

Word Games

 Our current generation, exposed to games with realistic graphics, has developed little interest regarding classic word games.



Only a few teens now feel the excitement and fun in playing word games such as Word Factory, Scrabble, and Super Text Twist.



Perhaps they feel that these games are old school and not of this generation's, that such games are part of the adults and parents' growing years and are hardly part of the "now". However, we cannot blame the technological advancements that has been (and still is) happening in our world.




These word games have been replaced by cognitive-driven games like Tetris and Bejeweled which, too, are classic games;



nonetheless, word games are of more use when it comes to practicality since words are used in our everyday lives and are means of communicating and expressing one’s ideas and feelings. These types of games may be considered boring since they just involve words unlike games that have captivating characters and plot and/or story lines.



Teens of today must not forget that the word games came first and have been helpful in our development. Yes, games like Plants Versus Zombies, too, help in reading, learning new words and as well as in developing cognitive skills… but it doesn’t have the fun and excitement that some players get from word games. Discovering new words is something helpful since it widens our vocabulary. Learning that the words you sometimes make up are actually real words, gives you the feeling of serendipity. The time limit that is often given adds to pressure and makes the players think faster and be more imaginative in processing and thinking of possible, existing and rare words.


Post by: Ernest Benjamin D. Arbado


References:
http://firsthour.net/screenshots/final-fantasy-13/final-fantasy-13-lightning-battle.jpg
http://firsthour.net/screenshots/final-fantasy-13/final-fantasy-13-lightning-snow-vanille.jpg
http://firsthour.net/screenshots/final-fantasy-13/final-fantasy-13-vanille-weapon.jpg
http://static-www.ec.popcap.com/www.popcap.com/sites/all/themes/popcap_2012/games/bejeweled_twist/screenshots/bejeweledtwist3.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjU1n2WDFWSS5OFoB88OvgwIGwMAmLABREy0slLQorXOUWmF2FcTRkLPc7suyDDEu7Iczoztuo0bQTglGN4tT4dOxhakpUlM6lN28jGlbJIVEMe9mjSDY86_8tG6vGULRNppgSIkpIpu34/s1600/fullscreen_tetris.png
http://www.qweas.com/downloads/games/puzzle-word-games/scr-super-texttwist.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhgRCHvClBZtUXBtn3zU2bxEM8kiGw0xg1DM61x0HnP-PblAOlq3-ui9IhF_huYJUvkJKgcK52FuI07sm_1lve7D8mQL7oh_cNY2WWjP1R1j1bAS6iL40tOyl8xhdCVPPYpBPJOTHqVWQQ/s1600/Word+Factory+with+Edge.JPG

23 comments:

  1. I agree with you, advancement in technology has made word games less appealing to children of this generation. I also appreciate your images because they clearly support your post. I would just like to point out that I was left hanging by your ending; I think you could have clarified some of your points to come up with a better ending.


    These types of games may be considered boring since they just involve words unlike games that have captivating characters and plot and/or story lines.

    This statement would be better if you remove "and/or story lines" because it denotes the same meaning to "plot".

    All in all, I congratulate you for coming up with this interesting topic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I consider myself one of a few. However, I still believe on word games' capability of equipping one's vocabulary . Congrats. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Perhaps they feel that these games are old school and not of this generation's," I think the word "feel" is not appropriate in this sentence. Perhaps you could use "think" instead of "feel."

    Good job Ernest! :D


    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this blog post. I got confused, though, on parts wherein you used ",too,".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the awesome pictures you used to portray the emergence of video games and its "superiority" over word games nowadays.I agree with you that video games has really made a huge impact on how today's generation view word games.

    Setting aside the minors errors in your post I commend you for writing about word games. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your topic, Ernest. You were able to state your point of view well. However, some of your chosen words and punctuation marks confused me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your topic, but the missing punctuation marks and misuse of "too" made me confused. Anyway, thank you for this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a great topic, Ernest! I also like that feeling of serendipity when playing word games. Tetris and other games like Final Fantasy aren't that bad though. They are as challenging as word games, and they can actually improve our cognitive skills since they teach something about strategy. They are still games, and the main purpose of games is entertainment. I played Tetris Battle on Facebook with my ten-year-old cousin as an opponent once, and I lost. Haha!

    If you're looking for a game that is as exciting as a video game and as educational as Text Twist try Bookworm Adventures. It's a really fun game wherein you fight these "library threats" through spelling out words. The longer the word, the more powerful the attack.

    I enjoyed reading your post. Good job, Ernest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some sentences are confusing. However, your blog entry is very interesting and congratulations for that, Ernest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your topic but some sentences are confusing because of the wrong use of punctuation marks. It also left me hanging on your ending. Anyway, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good choice of topic! Playing word games indeed can help us improve our vocabulary. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "These word games have been replaced by cognitive-driven games like Tetris and Bejeweled which, too, are classic games;" I got confused with this one. Maybe you could revise it.

    Great job Ernest! The topic was good. Before, I was fond of playing Tetris Battle ,and it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Ernest. :)

    "Learning that the words you sometimes make up are actually real words, gives you the feeling of serendipity." I know exactly what you mean, haha! Besides the faulty punctuation marks, you did a fine job with your post. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As I have expected from you, you posted a blog that is connected to "gaming". Haha
    Nice topic, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Mr. Arbado!

    Words games really help in widening one's vocabulary.

    Just be careful in the proper usage of punctuation marks.

    Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you, Ernest. Educational games, specifically word games, are a reinforcing device on improving student's vocabulary knowledge.


    Good Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Ernest! I like your topic. Great job!

    "Only a few teens now feel the excitement..."
    The way you used now seems awkward. I would have written it this way, "Today, only a few teens feel the excitement..."

    "...generation's, that such games..."
    The comma is unnecessary.

    "...skills… but it doesn’t have the fun..."
    You could have used a comma instead of ellipsis.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope children of today's generation will know the importance of these word games...

    This is a simple yet a very good topic, Ernest. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ernie I like your topic :D
    I used to love Text Twist back in the day. My dad and I would fight for the higher score. Great job!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anna's comment:
    "Nice blog post. I totally agree with it!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed reading this entry. Job well done, Ernest. :)

    ReplyDelete