Saturday, September 1, 2012

“It is the gap between thought and word which one must learn to bridge.”

That’s exactly my problem: putting my thoughts and ideas into words. If “words” meant actual talking, then I guess that wouldn’t be so hard for me. But, if it meant writing them down, now that’s probably going to be a bit of a problem. See, sometimes because there are so many ideas flipping around in my mind, I don’t know how to express them all into a decent paragraph. The minute I take a pen and try to write something down, my mind goes blank. Even if I do manage to come up with something, I doubt it would barely make any sense. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who experiences that though. Surely it happens to even the best writers.




















Why, then, is it so hard to write?

According to a certain website (the link is down there), writing demands the integration of diverse cognitive, memory, linguistic, motor, and affective systems, each of which makes its own unique contribution to the writing process and the text that gets written. Writers must juggle all of these systems simultaneously. Basically, it requires one to think, be creative, think, get your thoughts together, think, and think, AND THINK, AND REALLY THINK ALL AT THE SAME TIME.



How do I bridge that gap?
  
The answer is, obviously, obvious: PRACTICE, PRATICE, PRACTICE! Contrary to what some people think, writing, like any other skill, is not something you’re just born with. It's an art that must be learned. Genes weren’t responsible for making great writers, practice is. Even news writers get their articles rejected. Even authors get writer’s block. But after all that, they pick up their pens, and get the story going. A writer cannot simply make do with a rushed article. They have to edit, fix, and proofread it again, and again. Get your stream of consciousness together, take out a pen, and start expressing your ideas into words. The next thing you know, BOOM, thy gap has been bridged.


Note:
I got the title from an article in one of my English journals back in high school. The name of the writer, and the journal, slipped my mind though. But I'll be sure to add it up soon. Wouldn't want to be accused of plagiarizing. :) THANKS FOR READING! :))

Sources:




29 comments:

  1. No worries, I'm on your side. We both share the same experience Luny!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting some sentences with conjunctions is a big no-no in writing, but your casual way of discussing the topic was really admirable. Rather than capitalizing the words to emphasize your point, I think it would be more appropriate if you have just italicized them. Anyway, good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Luna! :) I think it would have been better if you used the quotation as your opening line or sentence and thought of a more catchy title instead. Besides that I thought you were able to express your thoughts clearly despite the "problem" you accuse yourself of having. Congratulations! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate. Very well said, Luna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also experience the same thing. Maybe I should start practicing. Hehe :) This is one is good, congratulations Luna :* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I just realized that I typed the wrong sentence there. Sorry for that. That should be This one is good..

      Delete
  6. Hi Luna! I know exactly how that feels!

    "Genes weren’t responsible for making great writers, practice is." You could have used a colon instead of a comma.
    "The next thing you know, BOOM, thy gap has been bridged." Using commas seem awkward because it implies an appositive. I'm just not sure which is the right punctuation to use.

    Great job on your post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be careful in using conjunctions and punctuations. Anyway, I've had the same problem from time to time.

    Good Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I doubt it would barely make any sense" -I was just a little confused.

    Anyway,
    I can even imagine you telling me everything you've written. It's very casual and it's so "you". I hope you understood what I mean. A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your entry is great, Trish. When I was in high school, as a feature writer, I would encounter the same problem every time I need to pass an article. It was like my ideas in my mind were awesome, but after I wrote them down, everything became trash. I also agree with you that practice is the answer to this problem. Training has helped me to become more effective writer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woah, I can imagine you saying all those in front of the class. Haha. Anyway, like most of our classmates, I also have the same problem. I would rather choose talking in front of people to express my feelings than writing them down. Good job, Luna!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you had successfully bridged the gap between thoughts and words in this post, with how well your thoughts were expressed. Congratulations for a well written post, Luna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We share the same problem. I also think that practice will help us solve that problem. Good job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I have a different problem. I always think of some good ideas but I can`t say it properly to someone.. Haha

    Good job,Boots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked the casual tone that you used for your post and the simple organization of your ideas. I completely agree with your topic because I also have the same dilemma, especially in times when I am required to write something in such a short notice and ideas flood my brain like locusts swarming hectares of crops, and at the moment that I am fully equipped to write, nothing comes out and my ideas are all mixed-up. Well, I think I should practice more to become a better writer. :)

    Setting aside the errors mentioned I congratulate and commend you for such a marvelous blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I congratulate you for coming up with a topic that relates to many of us. In addition, I agree that practice is the only solution to this problem we all have. I would just like to point out that writing words in all capital letters seems to me that you are using a tone that is somewhat furious.

    Aside from the minor mistakes mentioned I appreciate your effort in writing this post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can totally relate, Luna! You were able to keep your readers' attention by coming up with such a relatable topic. Job well done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I think that you have stated your points and thoughts clearly on that entry of yours. Good job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your entry was very clear and you have expressed your thoughts very well. Your entry kept me interested throughout the whole article.
    Congratulations Loony. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blog entry is great. All I thought then, I am just the only one experiencing such thing like this. Anyway, congratulations Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's like you, talking in front of us.But you're topic (I think) is not applicable to you because you came up with this well-written article! Congratulations and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Same here, Luna! I'm also having a hard time on how to put my ideas into "words". I agree with Linelle. You were able to state your thoughts clearly.

    Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You did a pretty awesome job here, though you went all "free-writing" here. Congrats anyways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. "Genes weren’t responsible for making great writers, practice is." I totally agree with this.

    I love how your post is very you. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well said Luna! I couldn't have said it better myself. Good job!

    ReplyDelete