Saturday, September 15, 2012

English proficiency: to write or to speak?


                There are various ways to learn the English language, yet many of us are still clueless on picking a technique that would propel us to master this morphing language. There are two common methods that we use in order to learn the confusing rules of English sprinkled with rigorous restrictions.

                The two methods I am talking about are: learning by reading or writing something and by speaking in English on a day to day basis. These two creatures seem to confuse us because of their different approaches on teaching us the complexities of the English language. 


                First of all, the use of any reading material provides us with the power to understand and interpret words that were once a stranger to us. Reading helps develop our skills mainly in the areas of comprehension, vocabulary, and creativity. These aspects when developed tend to create the persona of the “writer” in us since we learn various techniques that we can apply once we begin writing. Therefore, reading is a great way to establish not only the basic skills but also the art of writing wherein we could put our experiences or ideas into words.

              
         Moving on, speaking in English provides us control over our expanding social life not only with our countrymen but also with other foreigners. Speaking brings upon skills that we may use such as pronunciation, enunciation, and listening. Through speaking we learn to put together pieces of our incoherent thoughts into intricate passages that people may appreciate; as a result, we unlock the art of public speaking wherein our thoughts is being shared to everyone.

              We could see now that these two ways of learning English are way different from each other, so using it simultaneously would surely be difficult. To prove my point, it is evident that most of us are more comfortable in either being a speaker or a writer in English, but it is seldom that some people excel in both categories.  I am not saying that we could not attain mastery of both these techniques; instead, I think with proper motivation and discipline we could then master these two methods, which eventually would help us improve in our use of the English language. To end this post I would like to ask you my dear classmates. What do you think is the best way to master the English language, is it through speaking or the other way around that is reading and writing?


References:

24 comments:

  1. I don't want to say both. For my opinion, speaking the English Language is best way to master it because most of us learn on people we are associated. Thank you for this post. I am really encourage to practice more and more. I pray for a big improvement on how I speak and write. God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Through speaking we learn to put together pieces......" I got confused on this part. I think you should have put a comma after the word "speaking".

    "we unlock the art of public speaking wherein our thoughts is being shared to everyone." - "our thoughts" does not agree with your verb "is".

    "We could see now that these two ways of learning English are way different from each other," - "different from" is only used when referring to objects, so it should be "different with".

    " .....it is evident that..." i think this part is wordy.

    For me, both will help us master English.
    Job well done, Carlo! Your post encouraged me to practice more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check the capitalization of your title. It should be like this: English Proficiency: To write or To speak?


    "The two methods I am talking about are: learning by reading or writing something and by speaking in English on a day to day basis."
    -You should omit the punctuation colon (:) in this sentence.

    For me, both will help us master the language but in many different ways. ;)


    Good Job,Carlo! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I commend you for writing this wonderful post. I liked the pictures you used to convey your ideas and also to keep your readers' interest. Aside from the errors mentioned I congratulate you for coming up with this post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be mindful of your punctuation marks and your diction. As for your question, my answer is, both methods are helpful to master the English language.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in high school, our English teacher had this theory that writers are the best speakers. I think his theory was proven when our class won the debate event in our school. One of our debaters was the editor-in-chief of our school newspaper. She was really good in outlining the points of her opponent and could easily organize her thoughts. In the end, she won as the best debater. Therefore, I think both are essential in the mastery of English.

    Thank you for writing an encouraging post. Good job, Carlo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The two methods I am talking about are: learning by reading or writing something and by speaking in English on a day to day basis."
    You only use a colon after an independent clause. This sentence is also confusing.

    "First of all, the use of any reading material provides us with the power to understand and interpret words that were once a stranger to us."
    Omit "with".

    "These aspects when developed tend to create the persona..."
    Add a comma after "aspects" and "developed".

    I noticed that your sentences were long, and you used a lot of conjunctions. This might make your readers lose interest. Writing concise sentences is the best way to catch the reader's attention.

    Thank you for this post, Kambal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my case, I learn a lot from reading books and it really helps me to speak in English. Also, writing in English like what we do in our class helps me to improve my skills in this language because it is a way of practice not only for me, but also for the whole class.

    Good job Carlo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same as what Angel said. :) Both techniques will surely help us master the English language.

    Good job, Carlo! I like your chosen topic and I also commend you for putting images, which keep your readers' attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think both methods will help us improve our English skills. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning! In my case, I hate writing English essays. However, I believe that being able to write effectively in English is a big factor in attaining mastery of the language.

    Aside from the errors mentioned, your post is awesome! Good job Kambs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, Carlo! :) I don't know why, but your topic excited me. Haha! It is true that using both methods can cause confusion, but I think that for the two methods to be effective there should be a balance of both. When you write, you apply the things you get from reading which is learning how to organize your thoughts. When you speak, you won't make any sense if you don't think about the sequence of what you're about to say. Anyway, great job! Also, I love Calvin and Hobbes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow,there are comics everywhere!
    It has been a long time since I have read one of those(about a week XD). haha
    Anyway, nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Carlo! Your post is very entertaining! I think both are helpful in learning English. =)

    "...learning by reading or writing something..."
    You could have omitted something.

    "First of all, the use of any reading material provides us with the power to understand and interpret words that were once a stranger to us."
    You should have omitted with, and stranger should be pluralized since it pertains to words.

    "...wherein our thoughts is being shared..."
    Is should be are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job on this post!
    I think I'd go for both. I'd be thoroughly impressed with someone if they can both speak, and write in English. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Reading helps develop our skills mainly in the areas of comprehension, vocabulary, and creativity." I agree with this. For me, reading helps a lot for it exposes us to the language. I think, though, that to master the English language truly, one should practice both ways.

    I agree with our classmates' corrections.
    Still, great job Kuya Carlo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both are necessary in the mastery of the English language. If you want to improve your speaking and writing skills, you should first master the skills of reading and listening.


    Aside from the errors mentioned, these are the ones I noticed:

    "The two methods I am talking about are: learning by reading or writing something and by speaking in English on a day to day basis."
    You should omit the colon after "are". Also, "day to day" should be written as "day-to-day".

    "First of all, the use of any reading material...."
    I think it is better if you will remove "of all" after "First".

    In addition to that, some of your sentence are wordy.


    Kudos to this post, Carlo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anna's comment:
    "I think both help in learning English since you learn through interacting with people and with writing academic and formal English."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just be careful with your punctuation marks, that's all. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future..
    تعلم اللغة الانجليزية

    ReplyDelete